Sunday, September 2, 2012

Nearing the Finish of "Embassy Duty Guards"

Well, it has been a long time in coming for this oil painting.  "Embassy Duty Guards" is nearing completion.  One of my Syracuse Marine Parent's son Cameron is in this painting with his platoon.  When people see the painting, many times I will ask them, "Where do think they are standing?"  Usually the response is, "They're in Afghanistan"  which is probably drilled into their minds by now because anybody who knows me, also know that Forest is my son who has done 2 tours there.  Once they hear it is the Pyramids in Egypt, most will take a step back and back and say wow.  That was my first reaction to Cameron's photograph.  I wonder how hard it was getting all those Marines in their dress blues up on that pyramid - no small feat!  Between the rocks,  keeping the faces not as detailed and its shear size of 48"x60", this paintng has taken a good deal of time to complete.  Because Embassy Duty guards are training takes place at Quatico,  I will have it done just in time for the upcoming Modern Day Marine Expo in Quantico, VA in two weeks.




Like my other paintings, this one has its story too.  At the time November of 2010 this was taken in Egypt, it was that "calm before the storm.  In February of 2011 on my facebook page we saw a rather frantic parent asking everyone to "Pray for Cameron"  and we did.  2 days later another post came in from Cameron, "Got into our Camey's, we feel better now."  Then a few days later another post, "The FAST team has surrounded the embassy, so we are back in our dress blues".  I don't think he was too happy about getting back into those blues.  Forest told me they are hot and the neck is very stiff.  They used to be made of leather, that is why you may hear people call the Marines, Leathernecks.  They do look spectacular, but they are always happy to take off that blouse (Jacket).  As a Parent, these are anxious moments about our sons.  Prayer is the most powerful thing we do to combat the unkown concerning our sons and daughters in harms way.  All of the Syracuse Marine Parents started praying and God heard.  The Marines protected their embassy, the fast team did their job and all was well.  

Getting ready to go to the 2nd Marine Divisions 63rd Reunion at the Adam's Mark in Buffalo, NY for Thursday and Friday.  Looking forward to showing "My Military Experience - A Parent's Perspective"!  Those boxed card sets and prints drive the ability for the show to travel, so if you are interested in having a piece of artwork for your very own, go to my order page here on the blog to get the info on where to send the check or M.O.  Once I have a day, I will complete the shopping cart pages on my website, hopefully by October.  When I get back I will have the finish this painting - more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment