Thursday, March 3, 2011

New work. Mixed Media. "We All Prayed"

"We All Prayed" is the name of the next two portraits of my son Lcpl Forest Blair and Lcpl Nicholas Said.

And pray we all did, from the military families and those who offered to pray for our sons, to everyone of our sons fighting in Afghanistan. We all prayed everyday for their protection, for each warrior their success in battle.
Prayer the most powerful weapon. During the deployment, I received a satellite phone call from Forest. I was at work and just arrived in the lunchroom to hear "Sharon, Call on line one" I thought, "It figures, just as I get to lunch, ok... Hello"
"Hey mom" delay in the line,
"Forest! How are you?" delay in the line,
"Mom, are you sitting down?" delay as I sit down.
"Okay, I am sitting down" delay in the line and then he speaks as if all his words were one. "Well-I'm-ok-everythings-all-right-nothing-happened!" delay in the line and then my response,
"What happened?" "Well, the other day?-I got shot."
A 7.62 ml bullet went through my camel pack, around my sappy plate, through the Kevlar and then ricocheted back out of the jacket" delay in the line again.
"Mom, God's got my back. Keep praying.", delay in the line.
"Okay." delay in the line.
"Love you mom, Gotta go" Good bye"
"Love you Forest, Be safe, Stay on mission" End of call.
Prayer got us through. Knowing was priceless, because it directed my prayers and those who prayed with me. That day I went around thinking Oh, my God. Oh-my-God! Thank God for flack jackets!"
I told Forest often that for every brave warrior, at least 1,000 people praying for them constantly, some upwards into the thousands. He shared that number with his unit. They got it. We all prayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment