Thursday, March 31, 2011

"If You Only Knew Where I Have Been" The Faces That Launched This Series

Its about time I put what started this "Military Series - A Parent's Perspective".  As a parent you see so much when your son is in the military.  Only 4.4% of the US population is in the military.  The average American citizen is oblivious to the sacrifices this small percentage of the population makes to protect and serve them.  Because the average person does not know what our sons and daughters do, listen carefully America, their story needs to be told.  These brave men and women are your sons and daughters too.  You need to know "If You Only Knew Where I Have Been".  

  In September, last year I had been looking for a photo of Forest to sketch.  Deployment was at long last ended and I wanted a photo that could convey what I saw in my son.  He had been through so much and there were so many photos.  An artist here in Syracuse had inspired me to use a Wolfe's Carbon pencil set.  It was so perfectly black and the tonals were wonderful.  In my search, one photo of Forest on the transport coming home stood out, and I felt compelled to make a quick sketch. 
He looked so tired and yet so accomplished.  His eyes seemed to say, "Can you see what I have done?  I made a difference for you in this world.  It's a better place.  I kept you safe and our guys started to change the hearts and minds of the Afghan people just a little bit.  We lost good friends.  We fought hard everyday. I'm coming home safe, just the way we prayed."  That is my son, one of the "Marjah Marines".  All my prayers answered; the 3/6 was home and Lcpl Forest Blair was safe at last. 
In between homecoming in North Carolina and awaiting Forest to come home on post deployment leave, I went to the Syracuse Marine Parent picnic.  They have been a vital part of my marine family here at home since Forest went to boot camp at Parris Island on graduation day from Baker High School.  As parents we shared all that our sons and daughters were going through.  We shared our fears, joys in their accomplishments, and deciphered all those cryptic initials the military uses.   While at the picnic, I shared my sketch with Tina O'Shaughnessy.  We were watching her son Jared playing frisbee with our group.  He had just returned from Okinawa.  She asked if I would draw Jared. 

As Jared continued to play frisbee we shared an observation as I sketched preliminary sketches and snapped carmera shots, "They all have that look in their eyes.  The way they stand and carry themselves.  You can tell they have been through something." - "Yeah, you can."  I wanted to capture that.  Something inside me started.  This is not about me an artist; it is about them.  I very compelled to tell their story.  Their story is much bigger than me.  I am just the vehicle that tells the story in the visual, just trying to get the heart and soul of what I see as a military mom.  

Cpl Jared O'Shaughnessy had been through so much while stationed at Okinawa.  His men may not have been in a warzone such as Afghanistan, but they were in harms way many times I would guess.  Remember the world is not a safe place.  It takes our military to help where it is needed.  I am sure Jared's thoughts weigh heavy on his friends who are most likely helping the Japanese people in the midst of their disaster. 
I wanted to capture with that new carbon pencil, his telling eyes.

Did I get it right?  

Remember this series is not about me the artist it is about them, our brave sons and daughters.  It's also about what we parents and family members experience in the midst of our sons being in harms way.  Having them home and not going off to war and conflicts around the globe would be utopic.  There is a world out there and this few percent of the population in the USA have committed themselves to making a difference.  They are due your honor. 

(A technicality.  I could not crop out the matting from the frame.) 

1 comment:

  1. Sharon,
    We love what you are doing and support you 100%. The picture of Jared is awesome I'm so glad we've had the chance to see it in person.
    Thanks for all you do. See you soon. Love, Tina J.

    ReplyDelete