Sunday, March 13, 2011

5 New Starts on New Paintings

This has been a very productive week.  Working on the finishing touches of my acrylic, "Homecoming Hug" with Lcpl Carl J. (CJ) Sher, his fiance, niece and nephew.  Will be taking a photo to update that progress in the next couple of days. 

Started carving out a block print of "Wiener Wolf", a puppy that was adopted by Forest's Squad, (I think that is an FOB-Forward Operating Base?  Sorry I am such a "civvy" when it comes to all those abbreviations the military puts out, so just bare with me.  Personally, I think Wiener Wolf should be wearing a superhero cape.  Most times she looks incredibly happy and from a video I had seen, Wiener Wolf knows she is invincible.  "Look out Chesty, you have some competition!"  (That's the Marine Corps mascot-a bull dog).  In other stories I have heard canals can bring her to a whimpering state until, Forest pulled her out, while muttering "You are a stupid dog."  But at least I know those big fearsome warriors with their minds on their missions still had a soft heart for a little dog.  I found pictures of this short-legged Shepard mix with so many of our sons, holding her, petting her, sleeping next to them, and taking her brave responsibility of protecting them as her job. 

There are so many of my friends that do rescues, I suggested maybe we could see about rescuing Wiener Wolf.  I spoke with Forest about it and the answer came back that Wiener Wolf was in her element back in Afghanistan.  Wiener Wolf was used to all those guys in combat gear and didn't like the locals.  She did not know what a leash was and would not thrive here in the US.  She was being well taken care of by the guys who took over their outpost and that would not end.  Pets enrich our lives so much.  In such a difficult place this dog gave our 3/6 guys some normalcy in the midst of a very hostile environment.  Wiener Wolf the Superhero! 

Next month is our CNY Art Guild Show and Sale where I will demonstrate on  making block prints.  I will print off as many as I can for the guys who knew and loved Wiener Wolf.  I will have more prints reproduced for the series.  

Other pieces I have just drawn out.  They will be oils and I will be blocking out the color this week.  The next few posts I will give you their stories. 

1 comment:

  1. You are an artist, not only on paper/canvas, but with your words.

    ReplyDelete