Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1-11-11 An Artworthy Day

Well today was 1/11/11!  A day of first(s).  First time posting and really getting into my blog.  Hope you all like it. 
Judged mixed media at Schoolastics at Onondaga Community College today.  It is always a good day to be around so many fellow artists and looking at what our very talented young art students are creating. 
Came home later to work on Lcprl Nicholas Said.  "No Greater Friend - No Worse Enemy" is a PanPastel that I am producing for this Marine Series.  My son, Lcpl Forest Blair took the photo on a very hot day in Afghanistan last August.  Temperatures ranged 130 to 140+ degrees.  In those temperatures it too hot to touch your own clothes.  I can't imagine what that is like with all the gear they must carry. 

What struck me most about the photograph was the intensity of his eyes tilted in towards the camera.  Even with that Afghan head scarf though, his eyes give away that he is American.  Glad your on my side, Nicholas!  To those who have not heard the Marine phrase and title of this pastel, "No Greater Friend - No Worse Enemy" those big blue eyes say it all.  You're my hero Nicholas.  I am so greatful for all you have done.  I will be writing about the purpose of this art blog as we go alone.  For now, good night my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment