Monday, January 2, 2012

Final on "The Hardest thing I Have Ever Done" and Homecoming is Here!

This deployment has been a journey.  The people I have met with their amazing stories are incredible.  Because of them, I have been able to portray to the average American citizen "A Military Experience - A Parents Perspective". Best of all is is time for the 3/6 to return home and share my work with them. 


Here is the final on  "The Hardest thing I Have Ever Done" - Lcpl Nathan McCormick.  In painting my portraits for this series I have approached each one with a great sensitivity and when I first saw Nathan's photo, it took my breath away.  Our sons defend this nation with their very lives to keep us free.  It is a great price to pay for there is no greater love than to lay down ones life for another.  Nathan was wounded by an IED, (improvised explosive device) that sent his weapon into his face breaking bones.  He is a purple heart recipient.  While rehabbing here in the states he was asked to do two funerals.  This very first funeral was his best friend and rackmate.   He had to hand two flags to Lcpl Tim Swinerski's parents.  As he leaned in to give the flags to Tim's dad their heads met in absolute grief.  

Originally, I was going to use the photo in a painting geared as part of a larger piece for Camp Lejeune.  However, because the guys are coming home early, I had to make a decision between the many or the one.  Since deployment started I have come to realize this one is a deep need for Nathan. He inquired several times during deployment on how the painting was coming along.  I had several starts of sketches,torn over having it be part of the larger painting or by its self.  This painting has healing in it for Nathan. There is a sense of closure that I have surprisingly found in the waves of marines coming in there are several who have seen this painting since I have come down here.  Many people looked up to Lcpl Tim Swinerski and I have found the need is more than Nathan.

As I present this piece to Nathan for the first time, I want to share with him the lesson this painting has taught me.  When you see this piece remember it is not the sadness of the moment to always recall and morn over.  For it is easy for the brothers who fought with Lcpl Tim Swinerski to feel perhaps they should be the ones in the casket (I have had many veterans share that with me).   To each person there is a purpose in their life they need to fill.  It will take a lifetime to figure that out.  You will honor Lcpl Tim Swinerski the most by finding that purpose.

The one is more important than the many.  This piece is for you Nathan and for your brothers in arms.  It is for the parents who mourn there son, yet celebrate his life.  It is also the families who gather behind the 3/6 battalion.  It is for the one percent of our population in the United States Military.  It is also to teach the American people in this country the sacrifice, honor and courage it takes to be a United States Marine.      

Got to try on a flack jacket.  I am 3" shorter!
We pray about it and long for it and now it is finally here, its homecoming time!  To get the paintings down to Camp Lejeune, I needed to rent a van.  My Saturn just wouldn't fit all these paintings.  Penske has extended a military discount, but it still is costing $1600.00 to travel down for the return of the battalion and back to Syracuse.  To my followers on my blog and all the 3/6 families please consider a donation toward the expense of the vehicle coming down.  There is a donation button on the right hand side of the blog just for this trip.  I have had one of my 3/6 parents gave a very generous gift to help get things started  but I still need your help either through a donation or a purchase of one of my giclee' prints.

You are my heroes 3/6.  Welcome home - mission accomplished.


More to come with the painting start up for Camp Lejeune.  To honor his French name is pronounced Lejern.

2 comments:

  1. And now I am crying....
    Sharon, what a beautiful post. TJ leaves tomorrow morning for Afghanistan. This one hits very close to home. What a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roni: Afghanistan is a better place because of the brave warriors that have deployed during this war. Their sacrifices are dear and will never be forgotten.

      I pray for the safe keeping of all those who are going out to Afghanistan. TJ will find it much more settled and a more positive deployment than 2010.

      Still though, Lesson as a parent pray. Get a Skype prayer team with your parents going once a week. Results of prayer for us equalled no loss of life and no wounded warriors due to firefights. God hears every prayer!

      Come to our Syracuse Marine Parent's meetings on the 3rd Tuesdays of each month. We start at 6:30 at the Mattydale VFW. We take care of all branches of the military. All family is welcomed. We support each other in a place of caring and sharing. Would love to see you there. God Bless you. Hugs!! Sharon Blair

      Delete