Friday, November 2, 2012

New Painting and An Update on Forest

Okay, so there has been a lot going on this last month since getting back from the Modern Day Marine Expo.  Be watching because next week will be the Veteran's Parade and Expo at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY., November 10th.  On the 8th I will be on channel 9's local "Bridgestreet" at 10:00 am with Senator John DeFrancisco to talk about Saturday's event with the start of the parade at 9:30 am and the Expo event immediately following.  All of my paintings will be there.  Come out for a nice time and celebrate our Veterans!  

First of all, I'll update you all on Forest.  Where in the world has he and his battalion been this last month?  They have been training in the desert around Yuma, Arizona.  Now somehow this Marine Momma can handle hearing about the sand fleas and even camel spiders (about 6 inches in length) in Afghanistan.  But when I heard the Sargent drove his 7 ton onto their FOB (Forward Operating Base), he ran over 4 rattlesnakes, jumped out and shot 3 more.  He then proceeded to bark out, "You're all packin' yeur cots!  No one's diggin' in!"  When I heard that I internally fer-eeked!  Oh boy, the life of a Marine, thought about him all month.

 So little is known by the average American Citizen as to what our sons are doing on a day to day basis.  To see a child smile and be a child in a war torn country is a good thing.  There lives are marked by such difficult memories that we will never know.  So when I saw this photograph taken by Chris Leonard, I could see the story to be told.  Within this shot Micheal Parris and another Marine are entertaining Afghan children with a camera.  He had just taken a shot of the children near Nawa.  Part of the job our Marines have, is to stabilize the area and build relationships.  For this moment, Michael is having as much fun with them as he would with his own son.  I am sure that is what runs through his mind.  These kids have so little, yet the smiles and interest on their faces you see here, crosses language barriers and makes differences in this world.  Differences I pray is permantly embeded in their hearts and minds.

The square canvas has a recessed center.  I will be posting more as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment