Monday, September 10, 2012

A Week With My 2nd Marine Division's Veteran's and a General Too!

Just got back from the 2nd Marine Division's Association Reunion in Buffalo, NY in which I was able to share my paintings, "A Military  Series  - A Parent's Perspective"!  The subjects in my series are mostly based on the 2nd Marine Division, in which my son .  Lt Col David B. Brown, USMC, (Retired) is the Executive Director and Sgt Maj Joeseph L. Houle, U.S. Marine Corps and Meghan McMahon, Executive Assistant play major roles in the organization and they so graciously extended an invite to show my paintings and had my mom and I join in on the events at the convention.
That's my Mom- Beverly Schmelling



I have to share something that struck me, a civilian, so profoundly. The 2nd Marine Division traveled over to the Naval & Military Park in Buffalo. While we were there several Marines were recognized for their service in Korea. We had a catered dinner on the deck of the USS The Sullivans. I had heard the Marine Corp Hymn played many times over the years, but this time, it was very different standing amongst these men and their families on this ship. Time stood still as I observed the faces, the eyes of all those who served. At that moment of playing the Marine Corp Hymn, I started to realize the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli and all the battles fought were on their minds. As if they were transported back to that place and time each one served, I could see them remembering. It was a proud, purposeful, sad, sacred, deep and enduring looks that I observed. Just in case you have not heard me say it before, and you will hear me say it again, "Love my marines, all of them, no matter the age, they are my heroes!"

That moment brought out my admiration for that Marine Corp Hymn in a new and different way. I did not have a camera with me at the time. Through my tears, wish I could have captured that moment; perhaps another painting.

What a wonderful opportunity and experience to meet with Brigadier General Lori Reynolds, Commanding General, Eastern Recruiting Region Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island, SC. She is truly an amazing woman and it was an honor to personally show her my paintings.
General Reynolds came in for the 2nd Marine Division's Reunion Banquet in which the food we enjoyed really good food and entertainment from the local Scottish Band and Irish Dancers. Thank you to the 2nd Marines, Love my Marines!  There is more to come.  In two weeks I will be on the move again with my series.  I will be traveling to The Modern Day Marine Expo at Quantico. The push is on to finish "Embassy Duty Guards", since those Marines are trained out of Quantico.  Remember the Giclee' Prints and card sets help fund and drive the ability for the paintings to be seen around the country.  Every bit of your support in this effort helps to tell their stories to all of America.  Click into my order page on the right of your screen.  For now, I am off to paint!


No comments:

Post a Comment